May 20, 2013

This is why I love Estate Sales

I am a sucker for estate sales. I know some people find it creepy to look through people's stuff after they're gone, but not me.


Sure, it is a little sad to see someone's worldly possessions being tossed around so carelessly and scrutinized by strangers. But they're just things, after all. And at least they have a chance of being cherished by someone else.

This weekend, for example, I found a real treasure. And I guarantee I will get a lot more use out of it than the original owner ever did.

When I first saw the box I nearly screeched -- right there in the musty basement surrounded by fellow bargain shoppers. It was a Kelsey junior platen letterpress! For only $6!

As far as I can tell, it's never been used. And it's so freaking adorable I can barely stand it.

Unfortunately it is missing a couple key pieces that are going to be more expensive to replace than I thought. But considering the deal I got, I can't complain.

It even came with 1959 ink that might actually be usable. And more importantly, it came with a manual. Yippee!

I wonder what the story is behind this little letter press. From all indications it is about 50 years old, and in all that time it was never used. I wonder why.

I like to think that the previous owner would be happy to know that it came home with me where it will be used and appreciated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment