December 26, 2011

A (sort of) Statistical Analysis of the Craftiness of Mormons

As you know I read a lot of craft blogs. I mean it's sort of my job. (Or at least I would like it to be my regular job at some point.)

And lately I have also been compiling a massive spreadsheet of all the craft blogs I have added to the RTG database. It includes contact info and other important stuff that I have been painstakingly retrieving from each blog (which makes me sort of wish that Tute-Bot could be a REAL robot that could do this work for me. But I digress.)

Well, as I was gathering this info by hand, I started to notice a lot of buttons that look like this:


or this:




You know what I'm talking about.

And being the nerd that I am I got curious to know what percentage of the craft blogs I was looking at were by Mormons. And since I was already collecting other info it was easy to add another column to my spreadsheet.

Keep in mind that the sample size is pretty small -- only 500 blogs so far.


What I found was a bit surprising. Out of 500 blogs, 26 had one of these buttons or otherwise stated in an obvious way that the bloggers were Mormons. That's just a bit more than 5%.

It doesn't sound like much until you realize that according to Wikipedia* Mormons make up 1.7% of the population in the United States.

So if I understand the data correctly then Mormons are about three times as likely to be craft bloggers as the general population.

And that's not counting the bloggers who are Mormon but don't happen to use the buttons or otherwise mention their Mormon-ness.

So this begs the question. Why are Mormons so darn crafty? Are they craftier than the rest of Americans? Or are they just more likely to blog about it?

I pose these questions with total respect and admiration.



*Say what you want to about Wikipedia but I trust it for most things based on this.

1 comment:

  1. I am a Mormon woman, mother, and crafter, but my family were converts to the LDS church from Mississippi, where our church is not as wide-spread.
    When I moved to Utah when I was 19, and I was so impressed with the overwhelming plethora of craftiness in the Mormon culture. I have loved being part of a community that is so very inspiring and creative!

    As for why, I personally think that LDS women really value their roles as homemakers, wives and mothers and that most generally want to magnify that calling. I think a lot of LDS mothers try to be SAHMs and therefore have a little more time in their homes to beautifying things.

    I think we also take to heart the counsel given to us by our leaders- to beautify all that is around us; try to leave things better than you found it; and create a happy atmosphere and legacy for our families and anyone we welcome into our homes.

    It is by no means a commandment for us to be crafty, and I know many who aren't, but I think many of us honor our womanhood and want to make the world a better place. :) And crafts are just one little way many of us do so.
    Here is a great link to a talk from one of our leaders on why we desire to create:
    http://lds.org/general-conference/2008/10/happiness-your-heritage?lang=eng&query=happiness,+your+heritage

    I hope this answers your question a bit. Thanks for your respect and recognition. I love your site! Just brilliant! :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete