November 30, 2011

Update on the Random Tutorial Generator

I haven't been blogging here much because I've been focused on a couple other projects I'm juggling, including the Random Tutorial Generator.

The site still needs a lot of work. For one thing I just don't have enough tutorials for the search function to be very useful. Right now I have somewhere around 6,0000 but I figure I need at least 50,000 (all of them awesome hand-picked tutorials) before the search will be better than using a regular Google search.

Also, I need to figure out a way to let people report broken links because sadly blogs come and go. And I want to have a little banner thing at the top of the page with the button so you don't have to go back to push the button again. (In other words I want to make pushing the red button super fun and addictive.)

Oh, and I need to get the tute-bot Twitter account going, and I need to sign up for a Facebook page (a lot of people have "liked" the RTG, but I don't even have a FB page yet!)

I could go on and on, but you get the point. The site is not quite ready for prime time.

So I haven't started promoting the site yet and I was only getting around 20-30 visitors per day.

Then on Thanksgiving something very strange happened. On that day I suddenly got a spike of about 50,000 visitors! It's still a mystery exactly how it happened, but a lot of my traffic is coming from StumbleUpon and it looks like a few people who found it there blogged about it.

It's very exciting, but at the same time I'm a little embarrassed for all these people to see the site when it still needs a lot of work.

The really good news is that I am getting tons of tutorial submissions. So that will help me increase the size of the database for the search function.

In the next few weeks I hope to have the site working better so it will be the valuable (and fun!) tool I envision.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment