May 2, 2011

Pincushions Galore!


My obsession with pin cushions started with this ceramic elephant I found at a thrift store a few weeks ago. I think he was originally a very small planter, but immediately I envisioned him as the perfect pincushion. 

So I set about finding out how to make a pincushion. That's when I found this tutorial on the CraftPudding blog. I loved it immediately because you can store little buttons and notions in the bottom. And it just so happened that I had 16 baby food jars left over from another project. It was meant to be.



This is what I came up with. I only deviated from the CraftPudding tutorial in one major way: I filled the cushions with sand instead of fiberfill. I put the sand in plastic baggies first because it would have been messy otherwise. I used about 2 1/2 tablespoons of sand per pincushion. 

I wasn't very happy with the way the ribbon looked after I hot glued it in place -- it was a bit wrinkly -- so I added the lace. 

I love projects like this because I get to use up little scraps of fabric and ribbon. Everything I needed I had on hand. So it didn't cost me anything to make 16 little sewing kits (I filled the bottoms with buttons, needles, thread and a little bit of ribbon) to keep on hand for gifts. 


The elephant pincushion is made essentially the same way. I filled a little baggie with sand, wrapped it in fabric and hot glued it into the hole in the elephant's back.


If you are interested in making some pin cushions of your own, here are some more really good tutorials I found when I was doing my "research":

Tin Can Pincushion on Design Sponge
Elda's Knit Pin Cushion on Craft Leftovers
Hex Pincushions on A Stitch in Dye
Wrist Pincushion on The Long Thread
Toadstool Cottage/Mushroom House on Little House by the Sea
YoYo Pincushion on CraftyPod

2 comments:

  1. That elephant is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so great! I'm an editor over at Easy Crafts and I was wondering if you wanted to add this awesome tutorial to the site for our Spring Crafting Contest? Here are the details: http://easycrafts.wikia.com/wiki/Spring_Craft_Contest!.

    ReplyDelete