May 7, 2011

Ode to the Greatest Craft Book Ever Written: Rosey Grier's Needlepoint for Men

Rosey Grier was a man ahead of his time. Back in 1973, this actor, singer and former NFL football player wrote a book about his love for needlepoint. That's right. NEEDLEPOINT!

Even nowadays I imagine there are few men who would admit to a needlepoint habit. In the 1970s, declaring his love of such a "feminine" hobby in print must have been radical.

Of course, I suppose when you are Rosey Grier nobody is going to give you a hard time about it.

I was reminded of his book "Rosey Grier's Needlepoint for Men" when I read this article about outrageous craft books.

I used to have a copy of this book. It was even a signed copy.

I remember the day I found it at my local thrift store. I couldn't believe that such a book existed. It was love at first sight.  

But I'm not into needlepoint myself (I'm more of a knitter) so it just sat on my book shelf for a couple years. Then one day when I was in a big organizing and cleaning mood, I decided to sell it on eBay.

Now, years later, the book seems to be a big cult classic. It was even featured on Extreme Craft!

I'm glad to see Rosey is finally getting the recognition he deserves as a pioneer in manly crafting. But now I really regret selling that book!

The book is hard to come by. There are a few copies on Amazon, but they're a little pricey (totally worth it though, if you can afford it). 

So in case you can't get your hands on one, Garth from Extreme Craft has generously scanned some of the pages for you and put them on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment