April 5, 2011

ReadyMade MacGyver Challenge

I got the April/May 2011 issue of ReadyMade magazine in the mail yesterday. Yay!

The first thing I always do when I get a new issue is flip to the back and see 1) what the winning MacGyver Challenge project is and 2) what the new MacGyver Challenge is.

Every month I plan on entering and spend a lot of time and energy trying to come up with the best project. But so far I have never sent in an entry. I usually run out of time before I think of a good enough idea. Or I think of a good idea, but I can't get it to turn out the way it looks in my head.

That is what happened with the chopstick challenge. I went out and bought a boatload of chopsticks and some electrical wire for what was going to be my masterpiece. Let's just say it didn't work out. (It's still too disappointing for me to talk about.)

Because of my massive chopstick failure I was anxious to see what the winning project would be. I wanted to see if it was good enough to beat the idealized version in my head of what my project would have been. I wanted it to be better than my idea because then I wouldn't feel so bad. "See, I wouldn't have won anyway. Even if I did figure out how to weave the stupid wire between the chopsticks without making it look like a third grade art project," I'd say.

So I was relieved to see that the winning project is amazing! It is much better than anything I could have come up with.

You can see it -- along with the full instructions -- on the ReadyMade blog.

The new MacGyver Challenge is Frisbees. (That's a tough one!) Entries are due .... well, I don't know when they are due because it doesn't say in the magazine and I can't find it online. To be considered for the prize (a subscription to ReadyMade and "respect of ReadyMakers everywhere") you should probably submit your entry within about a month. If anyone knows when the due date is, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment