April 19, 2011

New Project in the Works

I've been working on a new project that I'm really excited about. I'm putting together a custom Google search engine that only includes crafty tutorials. 

At first I thought it would just be a good tool for me to use to keep track of the super long list of tutorials that I have been compiling. Then I thought maybe this is a resource that other people would like as well!

Imagine that if you did a search for "Easter eggs" every result would be a really good tutorial because it would be hand selected by a crafter.

By "really good" I mean it 1) includes photos (at least of the finished project and preferably of the steps) and 2) includes clear instructions that you can follow.  And it would be original and art/craft related (no computer programming or cooking tutorials here).

So you wouldn't have to wade through the crummy tutorials that turn up in a regular Google search. You could get right to the good stuff.

I'm also excluding tutorials from Martha Stewart, Instructables and eHow. I love those sites and use them all the time, but they already dominate the regular Google searches. You don't need my help to find their tutorials. 

I want to focus on the independent crafty blogs that put a lot of love into their tutorials even if they aren't getting a ton of traffic or showing up on the first page of a regular Google search.

So far I have entered 2,000 tutorials. It's a start. I still have a long way to go before it is the useful tool that I want it to be. But I'm too excited to wait, so I'm sharing it now.

http://www.google.co.uk/cse/home?cx=013547205485216517987:kpijk_-gk8c


Try it out and see what you think (but remember that it has a long way to go).

I'll be adding more tutorials as fast as I can, but I can't catalog the whole Internet! That's where I need your help. In the near future I'll figure out a way to let other crafters (including you!) submit tutorials automatically (but then I'll also need a way to let people flag inappropriate submissions...)

In the meantime, leave a comment if you have a tutorial you would like included. It can be your own or someone else's but keep in mind that it needs to include photos and clear instructions.

Please include direct links to specific tutorials (not links to entire blogs).

No comments:

Post a Comment